You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can take a look at, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prepare for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly situation.
- Gather supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace is out. It might seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this happens, flip the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the probability is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at James Heating & A/C, Inc a call at 336-853-6070 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.