Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Lexington, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at James Heating & A/C, Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give James Heating & A/C, Inc in Lexington a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 336-853-6070 or arrange an appointment with us online.