While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a buzz at 336-853-6070. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Lexington weather.