On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask James Heating & A/C, Inc in Lexington about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between expert cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at James Heating & A/C, Inc. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at James Heating & A/C, Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Lexington home clean and healthy. Give the pros at James Heating & A/C, Inc a call at 336-853-6070.